This year’s entries are particularly impressive, sporting products as diverse as jackal karosses and medicinal comfrey ointments. It’s truly extraordinary to see what creativity these woman apply to make a profit from whatever is at their disposal. At a gala function, to be held on 28 October at the Durbanville Hills Estate in Cape Town, the top business woman will walk away with a R65 000 cash prize to reinvest in her business.
This year’s six finalists are Serita Swart from Victoria West, Northern Cape, who makes kaross and other hide products; Annemarie Fourie from Senekal, Free State, who produces unqiue and contemporary knitwear; Ronel Swart from Graskop close to Hazyview, Mpumalanga, who not only produces silk products, but also does substantial community upliftment work; the multi-faceted Hannetjie Loots from Lephalale, Limpopo, a qualified educational psychologist who farms with stud Brahmans and runs her own school; Engela Kruger from Middelburg, Eastern Cape, who manages a leather operation that produces affordable equestrian products for farmers; and Sanette Mey from Patensie, Eastern Cape, who developed a medicinal comfrey ointment. These six formidable women are truly all winners in their own right.
Are you sure South Africa’s top rural woman entrepreneurs are all White Afrikaners? Racism.
- Let Afrikaners be African (mhambi.com)
- “If They Decide To Start Killing Us,” The Young Afrikaner Said, “We Are Ready” [Dispatches From The World Cup] (deadspin.com)
- Whiteness, whiteliness and White Studies (khanya.wordpress.com)
- White South Africans Denied Jobs (elliotlakenews.wordpress.com)
- Race relations and settling into South Africa – Tzaneen, South Africa (travelpod.com)